Our Hypertension Management Program aims to help our patients prevent and manage high blood pressure. Patients will meet with a nurse to review their health history as well as risk factors that can lead to elevated blood pressure. Together, we will develop a lifestyle-based plan with the goal of lowering and managing your blood pressure.
What to expect at your appointment:
- Your blood pressure will be taken with a BP TRU monitor. This machine takes 6 readings 2 minutes apart and averages the last 5 to provide an accurate assessment of your blood pressure.
- We will discuss what hypertension is, how a high blood pressure can affect your body and what can be done to reduce your risks.
- We will discuss lifestyle changes that can positively affect your blood pressure such as sodium reduction, weight loss and exercise, reducing alcohol intake and quitting smoking.
- If necessary, your doctor will review your medications and make changes as required.
- Referrals can be made to our dietitian and/or social worker as needed for additional counselling and information regarding diet and stress reduction.
To book an appointment with the Hypertension Management Nurse, call the office 519-284-3450 and leave this request with a Receptionist. The Hypertension Management Nurse will contact you to schedule an appointment, and if necessary, they may align an appointment with a check in with your Family Doctor.